Friday, November 26, 2010

Before Leaving Canada

Before breaking through customs into the US,  I was fortunate to connect with an old friend of mine Leah,  and stay with her and her great housemates, Nishira and Suzanne.   They live on the doorstep of the Pacific Ocean in Victoria, British Columbia.

One of The Oldest Sustainable Systems:  The Ocean

Crafty Plastic Bag-Drying Line

Plastic bags + Ocean = Check Out 'The Great Pacific Garbage Patch’



The above two photos are of the Kimchi Leah and I prepared together. Good books for fermenting recipes are 'Wild Fermentation',  by Sandor Ellix Katz,  and 'Nourishing Traditions', by Sally Fallon.   


Closet Full of Food

Bulk foods and home-made preserves from fresh in-season local veggies and fruit make this home extra hype.

Leah has also been instrumental in a campaign to protect the wild forests of Cortez Island, British Columbia.


The Fundraiser CD is available through:
http://wildstands.bandcamp.com/album/wild-we-stand-

Major gratitude to Leah,  Nishira, and Suzanne for hosting me.   Major gratitude also to Jeremy and Steph in Vancouver, British Columbia, who kindly hosted me for a long time before Victoria.

Much love,  Steve

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! Coincidentally, or maybe not for Victoria, I think I know Nishira! If it's the Nishira from the compost ed centre then I concur, she is extra awesome!

    ReplyDelete