Friday, May 20, 2011

Birds on Bikes and the Like

Howdy folks!


Greetings to you all from Peterborough, where Garrett and Kristi have just been gardening all morning... we were then rained out by a thunderstorm and now it's peaceful and sunny again.


Things are rolling along behind the scenes, with Garrett hard at work on the website. (New and improved with all the videos and info we gathered during PEDAL Part One!) And route planning is underway for PEDAL Part Two, after a successful and reflective meeting involving all past PEDAL participants. Even Lucas joined us via Skype from Oregon!


Garrett hard at work on the website


I also wanted to draw your attention to an amazing (and closely linked) project that some friends of friends will soon set off on... It's called Birds on Bikes. They are leaving Vancouver on June 1st (soon!) and heading all the way to Baja California. And their goal dovetails nicely with our own... They are planning to visit small scale, grassroots, sustainable community organizations along their route. They are going to document their trip using film, blog and pen!


It sounds like an amazing journey and we are surely going to connect with them soon to see how we can collaborate! You'll probably hear more details about them in the future as we learn more.
Till then, here is a link to their blog: Birds on Bikes Blog



1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    First congrats to made PEDAL happening, your project is just great.

    To make a long story short, my name is Emilie. I am a 27 year old French girl living currently in Vancouver.

    Back in France i have been working for environmental organizations and I have been discovery the Vancouver environmental movement since march 2011.

    Step by step a new project came into my mind, why not linking my passion for the environment and sustainable initiatives with my growthing interest in bike touring. So I talked with friends about my ideas and one of then told me about your project.

    I have been reading your website and blog and cannot help to contact you when i saw that you will have a part 2 living SF for Costa Rica next September .


    The way you are presenting your ideas and the project itself look amazing to me and i know that your team must have work a lot to made it happen but i was wondering if you guy are open to new people to join on the adventure ? If so i am definitely and seriously interesting in it and will be glad to give you more details about me, my motivation, how i can help the project (a French version of the blog ;) etc..

    Raf might be interested to . and off course i have a lot of questions about the part 2 (how long is the journey ? how do you do in practise to "discover" local sustainable initiatives ? to spread them etc)

    Maybe it could be easier to talk to each other on the phone or Skype ? or maybe some of you live in Vancouver by any chance :) Here is my cell phone (+ 1 ) 604 441 0417, and i can call for free long distance in Canada so i will be glad to give you a ring or my email emilie.lapprand@gmail.com

    Looking forward to hearing from you,

    Cheers

    Emilie

    ReplyDelete