Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Topsy Turvy Tuesday

Lesson of the Day:  Contrary to what might be expected, traveling by bicycle is far from monotonous.

I've always enjoyed my twenty-minute rides across Guelph to go to campus or to run errands, and I really get into the two-hour trip from Guelph to visit my folks, but prior to the tour, I found myself wondering how long full-day rides would stay interesting.  Well, we're only four days into this tour, and I've already learned several times over that bicycle touring holds little to no threat of monotony.

The day started with a happy and heartfelt farewell to the folks at Whole Village as we set off north along undulating dirt roads, the odd car or tractor shuffling by.  Not long passed before we were assimilated into the typical rural southern Ontario network (likely inspired by a plate of hot-cross buns) of county roads and two-lane highways populated by lumbering (but very patient and polite) sixteen-wheelers, too overgrown for their roads.

The day's ride promised to be longer than expected as we reassessed our route, but a picnic lunch in a Shelburne playground structure revitalized us.  As we rode out from the park, Kristi's oh-so-carefully adjusted seat shifted quite suddenly, and her knee began to ache as she tried to find the proper fit again.  My mood was swayed by the state of her knee, as it has been these past few days, but she and I were encouraged by the fact that her knee had remained in good condition for more than twice the distance than previous days.  Proper seat position and strengthening leg muscles are showing great promise!

As the day waned and the sun sunk low, the team grew impatient to reach our final destination for the day, but our welcome was warmer than even the evening air (at 8pm, a thermometer informed me that the temperature was 40 degrees Celsius!).  An acquaintance of ours who lives in Markdale referred us to a nearby family who could put us up for the night.  They've done far more than that; they've heartily fed us from their garden as well!  Turns out they recently moved here from Toronto, and have been enthusiastically working towards self-reliance.  They've eagerly and generously made us quite at home here, and I look forward to exploring the property and getting to know the family a bit better tomorrow before we head on to Thornbury and Meaford!

Good night!  It will be for me!

2 comments:

  1. Hi guys! I would suggest that you make sure to sign each blog entry so it's clear who is doing the writing. Most of the entries so far are signed but not Topsy Turvy Tuesday. I could read between the lines and tell that the author was Garrett - but others might be left wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lucus and the rest of your Riders

    What a great journey you are on and I wish you nothing but good rides, and saftey. In my time this would be far from any ones imagination to make such a journey. becareful and I will truly follow this journey, and I will pray for saftey and strong legs. This sure could be news worthy and also documentry show in reality. Make some contacts,and make some friends make some memories. When Sherri told me about this I thought I wish I was twenty again.

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete